Strawberry Coconut Oaty Buttery Bars

by Laura Agar Wilson on July 11, 2011

in recipe

As I am staying with my Aunt and Uncle in Brighton this week I thought it would be nice to take down some baked treats with me. I had a bit of a think about what I could bake that would be vegan and delicious. During a quick browse of recipes in my Evernote account I came across the lovely Katie’s Raspberry Cobbler Bars and Mama Pea’s Berry Breakfast Bars and decided to make something along those lines. This is what I came up with!

Strawberry Coconut Oaty Buttery Bars (makes 9 bars, vegan)

• 1/2 cup of plain whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups of Scottish Oats
  • 1/4 cup of coconut flour (or could sub with more whole wheat flour)
  • 1/4 cup of natural caster sugar
  • 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp of vegan butter, melted (I used pure spread)
  • 3/4 cup of fruit puree (I used apple and pear baby food!)
  • 1/2 cup agave
  • 1 tsp of coconut or vanilla extract

Filling:

• 2 cups or approx 300g of fresh strawberries, half chopped, half mashed
  • 1 tsp of corn flour
  • 1 tbsp of agave

Pre heat oven to 350F / 180c. Combining the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and coconut in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the fruit puree, melted pure spread, agave and extract then pour into dry ingredients and combine well. In another separate bowl combine your half mashed and half chopped strawberries with the agave and corn flour, mix until the corn flour has dissolved. Grease an 8×8 square pan (I used spray oil) and place just over half the oaty mix in the bottom pressing down firmly. Spread the strawberries on top, followed by the rest of the oaty mix, I crumbled mine on top of the strawberries. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin then turn out on to a board and cut into squares or bars. Enjoy!

These are wonderful, very reminiscent of a strawberry crumble in bar form! The base is lovely and dense, almost like a flap jack (in fact the oaty mix alone would make a great base for a healthy flapjack) and the subtle coconut and strawberry flavours work so well together. I found the sweetness of these just right, but if you prefer things very sweet then you could add more sugar.

These also have a nice light buttery taste – you could of course try replacing the vegan butter with coconut oil for added coconut flavour!

Yum!

What’s the last thing you baked?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Meg July 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

These are beautiful and delicious looking! I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

kabochafashion July 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Ohh yes please!! These sound so so yum!! They wouldn’t last long around me hehe :)
Last thing I made were my yeasted cinnamon muffins..and I’m planning on baking something else tomorrow!

celery and cupcakes July 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

These look so good and really pretty too! :)

everydaysapicnic July 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yum yum!

I don’t really bake – I tried some of my housemate’s lemon drizzle cake and victoria sponge over the weekend :-)

cinnamonalicious July 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

OMG i’m dying looking at these!! they look amazing!
Last thing I baked was…aah I can’t remember!! need to rectify that immediately!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I absolutely love fruit bars like this! These look wonderful and I imagine that they taste even better :D The last thing I baked was some chocolate chip coconut cookies, but I’m feeling the baking bug biting today, so I’ll probably whip up some muffins this afternoon.

LilyLipstick July 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

These look so good! I bet any non-vegans that you gave them to wouldn’t even realise that they were vegan! Hope you’re having a fab time in Brighton. x

Maria July 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm

They look delicious- love the idea of strawberries and coconut- hope you are having a fab time in Brighton and I bet your relatives love those :)
I didn’t bake at all this weekend! Shock! So it must be, gosh, not sure- I made fudge last weekend as a gift for a friend I was visiting, so it must be that.

Angela July 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm

They look yummy. The last thing that I baked was a hard, burnt sugar tasting lump which was supposed to be chocolate brownies. Apparently there is only so much recipe tweaking you can do before disaster strikes!

Becky July 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Ooh they look lovely! The last thing I baked was my vegan banana & blueberry bread :)

LOOK! FLYING MONKEYS! July 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm

They look so yummy! The last thing I baked…dark chocolate and cherry muffins for my bf, he loves them :) That was weeks ago, must get baking again!
Hope you’re having a lovely time in Brighton!

tam July 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I want one! ha ha that last thing I baked was brownies for the boy : )

kristi (sweet cheeks) July 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm

those look incredible!!! you are so creative. :)

Charlie July 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I bake all the time. I occasionally do commissions and events but my problem is mainly the balance between super bad-for-you cupcakes with mountains of icing which I seem to bake so well. And the more health conscious baking which I enjoy baking so much more but unfortunately there isnt much of a demand. My boyfriend was chowing down on some junky milk choc chip cookies yesterday so I threw together some oat and peanut butter drops. Oats, baking powder, agave syrup, apple sauce, lots of peanut butter, a little soya yogurt and cinnamon. So delicious. I will be trying your recipe for sure Laura!

Jennifer July 12, 2011 at 1:30 am

They even LOOK buttery! ahhh yum! I want to learn how to bake vegan since I can’t bake at all anyways. might as well go big or go home, right? =) hehe

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 12, 2011 at 1:38 am

I love strawberry in baked goods :)

I made blueberry muffins last week and they were fantastic, if I do say so myself! I LOVE baking!

veganaphrodite July 12, 2011 at 6:09 am

These looks delicious Laura! Thanks for the recipe!
They kind of remind me a little of the date-crumb squares O have been baking lately :)

Bronagh July 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Mmm these look amazing! I love the flavours of strawberry and coconut together although imagine they’d work well with just about any berry/nut combination? I went berry picking at the weekend so have A LOT of fruit that needs using up, and these look like the perfect thing to do just that :)

lifeloveandeverythingelse July 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Ooh must try these- my daughter will love the pinkness. What’s Scottish oats? I baked lemon meringue cupcakes on the weekend

Lucie - A Taste Of Vogue July 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm

These look so crumbly and chewy and yummy! I’d so pay for you to come and cook for me =] And I think the last think I baked was vegan raisin oatmeal cookies – yum =] x

Lana July 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

oh WOW these look so good! I think tha last thing that I actually baked was banana and chocolate cookies, but have been doing lots of unbaking, of course!
X

leashieloo July 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Want want want! What delectable looking bars, you’ve won me over with the strawberry/coconut combo.

Eleanor@Eatinglikeahorse July 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I just started writing my comment in the “name” box – you nearly got one written by “Those bars look…”!
But apart from my stupidity, they look delicious – I don’t think they’d have hung around long enough to be photographed if I’d made them :-)
Hope you’re having a great time!

vivoir July 12, 2011 at 9:05 pm

ooh you’re not far away from me ;)

love the look of those bars- you might be able to help me…

look at http://vivoir.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/wrap-attack/ as i have a conundrum!!

the last thing that i baked is going to feature on my blog soon- low sugar, healthy fats, no dairy! oo and chocolatey :) plus, microwaved… minimal washing up! :)

Madeline- Greens and Jeans July 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm

These look SO pretty (and tasty!). I haven’t baked in far too long, but I made my boyfriend peanut butter chocolate chip biscotti. His favorite!

deisegal July 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Oh I made these on Tuesday (with a couple of tweaks but pretty much following the recipe, which is good going for me!) and they were sensational! I can’t wait to tinker around with different fruits etc. thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing about your Brighton adventures!