A few weeks ago I was contacted by Hilary Greenleaf, author of Superfoods for Women Only – 20 Vital Foods for Soft Hair, Clear Skin, and Looking Younger, to see if I would be interested in reviewing her e book:
I’ve always been interested in the ‘idea’ of superfoods so thought it would be an interesting read. The term ‘superfood’ seems to have become very popular when describing certain products, everything from blueberries to unusual and exotic berries like the acai, have been branded as a superfood. With that in mind I was intrigued with what angle this book would take. I was very pleasantly surprised that Hilary has approached this in a really down to earth manner. She explains where the superfood term has come from and gives a useful definition of what properties a superfood should demonstrate. Best of all, the superfoods that this book focus on are all everyday products you can find in most supermarkets – even supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl – which is my definition of an easy to access product!
The book lists 20 of these superfoods and gives useful tips on why they are so super, how to include them in your diet and a selection of recipes in which they are used, many of which can easily be veganised.
I do like how there is a range of foods included in the list, as well as the expected fruit and vegetables there are also some animal products and herbs and spices. Even though I believe a mostly vegan diet is right for me, I know some people want to be able to include animal products in their diets and the suggestions in this book for how eat the best ones are great.
One of the superfoods included in the e book: Blueberries (source)
For some people that have already read a lot about nutrition, this e book will probably not offer you much you didn’t already know. However for someone looking to improve their diet generally, as well as understanding why certain foods are particularly good for us, this is an excellent read. The recipes all look nice and simple to make as well as sounding delicious too! As this book is in an electronic format it is also pretty affordable which I think is a great way to make its content more accessible.
Hilary has very kindly offered 5 copies of Superfoods for Women Only for giveaway!
To enter (each of these counts as a single entry – please leave a separate comment for each one, I’d hate for you to miss out on additional entries!):
- Leave a comment to this post with what is your favourite superfood and why
- ‘Like’ my Facebook page and leave a comment below stating that you have done so
- Follow me via Google Friend Connect (link under the ‘follow me’ section on the right) or follow me on Blog Lovin or Twitter and leave a comment below stating that you have done so
- Tweet about this giveaway: ‘check out @keephealthstyle Superfoods for Women GIVEAWAY’
- Sign up to receive blog updates via email using the link to the right and leave a comment below stating that you have done so
- Post about this giveaway with a link back to this post on your blog and leave a comment below stating that you have done so
Giveaway open to everyone and closes at 12am GMT Wednesday 23rd May 2012, good luck!