Happy Friday! How we all doing? Hope you have had a good week. My week has been pretty good – much less stress than last week which I think has been helped by having a more realistic to do list!
While I was doing the shopping I spotted an old favourite ingredient:
Two Chicks liquid egg whites come from free range eggs and are so much more economical than wasting precious yolks. I used this a lot before I became vegan, particularly for making my famous egg white and spelt wraps. Of course I just had to try them out again, and oh my word it was delish and even better than I remembered!
Laura’s high protein egg white and spelt wrap (makes 1 wrap)
- 7 tbsp of liquid egg whites (or 3 large egg whites)
- 1 slightly heaping tbsp of wholegrain spelt flour
Just whisk the ingredients together with a little seasoning if desired – could also add some herbs and spices or even mixed seeds are nice too. Heat a large frying pan to a medium high heat and add a little oil / spray oil. Fry the mixture like a big pancake, flipping when the underside is cooked and slightly golden.
These are similar to the socca wraps I also like but just that bit softer and obviously higher in protein. Usually I’m a whole egg person but I do think the liquid egg whites will come in handy from time to time for that protein boost, especially as I now feel like I do better with a little more protein in my diet. Just like the socca, these are great for me as if I bought a pack of regular tortillas they would end up getting wasted as neither myself or James eat that much bread.
- Wild Alaskan Salmon with roasted broccoli and cauliflower and a sweet potato with coconut oil
- Creamy custard oats (made with an egg added) with roast figs and plums and topped with a cube of frozen full fat coconut milk
- Black bean and sweet potato chilli with spinach and half an avocado
- Pumpkin seeds and raisins for a snack
- Perfect breakfast – a slice of my raw millionaires shortbread with a pumpkin spice smoothie
- Harissa Spiced Chickpeas and Courgettes with lemon tahini sauce and steamed broccoli
- 2 scrambled eggs and egg whites with avocado and sea salt and an orange on the side
- Salad with tinned wild salmon, yellow pepper, red onion, black olives and balsamic
- Protein pumpkin pudding (2/3 of a tin of pumpkin blended with 1 pack of mori nu silken tofu, a scoop of vanilla sun warrior protein powder, cinnamon and ginger and a little water for 2 servings)
Plenty of yumminess right there!
Work outs this week:
- Saturday – REST
- Sunday – 30 minutes cardio on cross trainer, step machine, bike, Kettlecise class
- Monday – 5 min warm up on cross trainer, new strength training workout 1, 10 min HIIT on bike
- Tuesday – 30 minutes cardio on cross trainer, step machine, bike, Body Pump class
- Wednesday – REST
- Thursday – Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown Level 1 via You Tube
- Friday – 10 min warm up on cross trainer, new strength training workout 2 10 min HIIT on bike
I think I ought to finally share the new strength routine I’ve been doing these last few weeks! Pretty much like usual, I tend to go for a 3 x 3 x 3 format. I.e three sets of three exercises repeated three times. I have generally tried to make sure I’m working my whole body, and of course as well as this I am also getting in some great full body workouts in Body Pump, Kettlecise and Yoga.
I start off using a weight – either dumbbells or bar – that challenges me and then gradually increase the reps and then increase the weight again. I have been doing this for three weeks now and have increased the reps to 12. The 3 x 3 x 3 seems to be a good format as if you wanted to you could do lower body, upper body, core for each set as a way of balancing it out.
On the Love List this week …
I just love fashion at this time of year more than any other. I have got all my hats and scarves out ready for wrapping up cosy and warm! Also…
my work colleague giving me some wild Salmon her partner caught // this gorgeous Berlin apartment // chocolate and peanut butter smoothies // hot water bottles // making a start on organising my redecorating project // dreaming about interior design // increasing my weights in Body Pump – and feeling strong // potentially finding a new yoga class in Durham // texts from my best friend making me laugh // photo messages of my best friends baby making me smile // remembering that life is pretty bloody awesome sometimes :-)
In case you missed it
- Baby I was born this way (another wordy post) – thank you again for all your awesome comments!
- Squash and Chard Frittata Recipe
Sooo looking forward to this weekend, going to have a trip into town and there is a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte with my name on it!
What’s on your Love List this week? Do you make up your own workout routines? I really do find the 3 x 3 x 3 formula works for keeping it simple with strength. What is your favourite strength exercise? I love squats and deadlifts! Hope you have a great weekend!