Today I have a guest post from Ekta Mair sharing her excellent fitness do’s and don’ts!
Fitness DOS and DON’TS
Fitness is something that many people struggle with, as there is always someone giving advice to do something one way and another person telling you something else. What you need to remember is that it isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ – you have to plan your workout to your needs and goals. Here are some top dos and don’ts for you to take a look at:
- DO think about goals and what you are looking to achieve. This will motivate you and encourage you to work towards your goal and will give you something to work against, whether its weight, measurements or even fitting back into that old dress.
- DON’T overdo it. By trying to do everything at once you are more likely to be too tired and sore over the next few days to even consider doing any more exercise. This can already put you out of your routine and give you an excuse to give up.
- DO speak to a doctor or trainer if you have any medical conditions that can be affected by exercise. They may be able to advise you on what exercises are best for you and which ones you should avoid.
- DON’T starve yourself. You need to make sure you eat regularly throughout the day, starting with breakfast. Many people think that by not eating breakfast they can ‘save room’ for later, however breakfast is needed to kick start your metabolism. If you skip meals, your metabolism will slow down, so when you do eat your next meal, it will be stored as fat.
- DO mix up your training programme. If you do the same workout all the time, your body will just get used to it and instead of losing weight you will just plateau. Another reason to change up your workout is that you will most likely get bored after a while and the effort you put in will start to diminish. You will also get used to the exercise and it won’t be challenging enough anymore, making your motivation drop.
- DON’T train on an injury. It is better to get it checked out and let it heal rather than pushing yourself to train whilst injured. If you do train on an injury, you could end up doing more harm than good, which could end up with the injury taking longer to heal or even causing permanent damage.
- DO drink plenty of water. It is important that you stay hydrated whilst exercising and throughout the day as you need to replace the liquid lost throughout your workout. You should drink even if you are not thirsty as, if you are, this shows that your body is already on the way to being dehydrated.
- DON’T miss out on that important sleep. You need to be able to recover from the exercise you have done to let your body repair. It’s also important that you aren’t tired as you need to maintain your energy for any training you are going to do.
- DO work out with a friend. By having someone there to motivate you and you them, it is easier to be able work towards your goals. It also stops your from skipping workout sessions as you’ll be letting the other person down, making you feel obligated to go and helping to motivate you.
By following these dos and don’ts you could be well on your way to being the healthier and fitter version of yourself, without making the usual mistakes that are so common.
This post was written by Ekta Mair who was struggling to kick start her exercise programme so joined Revival Boot Camp. They provided her with the correct way to lose weight for her body type and lifestyle, as well as providing some easy nutritional and healthy recipes for her to try.
What are your top fitness do’s and don’ts?