How to create a home gym that’s cheaper than annual gym membership

by Laura Agar Wilson on December 7, 2013

in fitness

Cohdranknwghts2

I love my gym. It’s just 5 minutes from home, so I have no excuses not to go. It’s a ladies only gym, so I don’t feel too self conscious rolling up at 7am in the morning with bed hair, plus they have a good range of classes and equipment, although some better, heavier weights would be good! Another good point is it’s affordability – my membership is £27 a month or £324 a year, a lot less than some other gyms I know of.

Another reason I love my gym membership is because we live in a little one bedroom flat and the option of having any kind of home fitness equipment is just not happening – don’t get me started on the fold away rowing machine James bought that I had to hide behind a screen in the living room for 4 years! If we moved to a bigger home, it’s my dream of having a garage converted into a small home gym. That got me thinking, could you create a decent home gym for less cost that an annual membership. Let’s see!

• Fitness Mat –  £20
  • Kettlebells – £40 (for 3 different weights)
  • Power bag – £50
  • Stability ball – £15
  • Medicine ball – £63 (for a rack)
  • Skipping rope – £10
  • Hula Hoop – £30
= £228

That is just where I would get started (all prices are averages based on what I could find on www.bestgymequipment.co.uk) I think that range of equipment would enable you to perform workouts such as these:

Would you be tempted to trade in your gym membership and build a home gym?

*post in association with Best Gym Equipment, all content and opinions are my own

photo greenfb_zps43614d81.png photo greentwit_zps439f43de.png photo greeninsta_edited-1_zpsa62b54b7.png photo greenpin_zps9b9921b9.png photo greenrss_zpsb71630f6.png photo greenyoutube_edited-1_zps741514fc.png photo greentumb_zps8c4ce466.png

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind December 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

Though I do have a gym membership, I would never give up my home gym. It’s just so much easier if you don’t even have to get out of your PJs to start your morning workout. I do have a kettlebell, a pair of dumbbells, a barbell with various weights, a skipping rope, a pull up bar and of course a yoga mat. And since I was looking out for sales I haven’t paid more than 100€ for all of it. By the way: I do also have a home bike, which I bought at ebay for 20€, merely used. A lot of people buy fancy home exercise equipment and sell it on ebay a year later, when they don’t use it.
Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted..What Sina Ate WednesdayMy Profile

Laura December 8, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Haha I love the idea of not even having to get out of PJ’s! I will have to have a look on Ebay, great tip :-)

Cat December 7, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I agree with Ksenja – it’s great to have some equipment at home – I love being able to do quick workouts without the trek to the gym! That said, I have still got a gym membership which I use for classes and the odd heavy barbell.

Laura December 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm

That sounds like a good balance. I wish I had the space for a home gym, not so much space in my living room unfortunately!

Tamzin December 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I did and I love it, easier for me as I had most of the equipment due to being a trainer! I love just being able to workout in the peace of my own home with my music, no make up and no-one feeling the need to tell me how to exercise!

Laura December 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Sounds ideal! I definitely need to get back into the habit of fitting in workouts at home!

Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) December 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm

The gyms near me are so expensive, around 79-99 pounds a month eek! Not something I can commit to right now! I would love to get a kettlebell at some point. I’ve been doing Insanity so that’s worked well as you don’t need any equipment.
Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) recently posted..A weekend in BrightonMy Profile

H December 11, 2013 at 9:45 am

I used to be a member of quite a few gyms around Durham. Council ones around the area for classes, FQ in town for gym/swimming, even the one in the Radisson at one point (fab sauna and steam room!). If your gym is the one I’m thinking of, I’ve never tried it and had considered it at one point. I’m not a member of any gym now and tend to just work out at home/outside – it’s harder to get motivated but so, so much cheaper and easier!

H December 12, 2013 at 11:18 am

*meant to say “…had considered it at one point but it was too far out of the way for me.”